Saturday 1 March 2008

Souper-duper

It's been raining alot this weekend. After another rainy morning, we decided to lunch at Ajisen Ramen to warm our tummies. The only kind of carbo that I will indulge in without guilt is a hot steaming bowl of ramen. It's the kind of comfort food that will make a grouchy mommy feel sunny again on a wet day.

Instead of the usual Ajisen Spicy Ramen that I always go for, I decided to try the Curry Pork Ramen. YK opted for the Spicy Ramen while SK ordered the Hokkaido Seafood Ramen. The food arrived quickly and before anyone could tuck into their steaming bowls of ramen, I whipped out my camera (can you hear the kids growl?) and snapped some photos quickly... which explains the poor quality of photos here...

We ordered some sides - agashi tofu, shishamo fish and teriyaki chicken.

This is YK's spicy ramen. The milky white Tonkotsu soup, made by simmering different kinds of bones for many hours, is to-die-for, especially after it has been infused with the fragrant spicy minced pork. This is still my all-time ramen at Ajisen.
I swapped my ramen with YK's, half-way through the meal. I slurped up all the spicy broth with bits of minced meat swirling inside. My tongue was scorching from the hot chilli oil... but it was so worth it.


This is my Curry Pork Ramen. It has the same collagen-rich broth base enhanced with a tinge of spicy, fragrant Japanese curry. The shaved pork slices were very tender and soft. YK likes the shaved pork. Well, I like everything in it, even the hard boiled egg. The ramen is springy, with a really good bite.

I didn't get a good photo of the mixed seafood ramen that SK ate. He can't take spicy food, so his ramen came in the original milky broth, topped with crab meat, squid and scallop, supposedly all the way from Hokkaido. It was very delicious too.

When we got home, we had glutinuous rice balls (rice ball that is usually filled with peanut filling or sesame, or red bean) in peanut soup for dessert. The soup was made yesterday (cooked all day in the slow cooker until peanuts became very soft). I boiled some frozen rice balls in the peanut soup and voila, it tasted just like the real thing from the famous Ah-Balling stalls!

I think I can sell rice balls for a living now.

16 comments:

Blur Ting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

The curry pork ramen looks deliciously mouth watering. In fact I'm slobbering all over keyboard! LOL! I'm a fan of any noodle with curry in it.

It's been a wet weekend here too and the only thing I wanna do on rainy days is to stay in and cozy up in bed ... LOL!

Gee, it's raining again right now. That's going to make it a cool night to sleep :)

Amel said...

OHHHHHH now I'm craving for everything you posted there. YUM YUM...

Btw, I just posted a pic of me as Vampirella HA HA HA HA...;-D

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ahhh ramen! :)
That's the Ah Bahling? Then I must have had the homemade version (but not that hawker version) before :)

They look so good, and now I'm hungry!!! :)

The World According To Me said...

I can literally smell the food! It looks yummy.

Is it still raining I wonder? We've had rainy, windy stormy weather this weekend, but the sun came out to play today.

Anonymous said...

looks damn good!

Blur Ting said...

Nick - The weather's quite weird. We had few weeks of really dry weather and suddenly, it's been raining again.

Oh, if you have Ajisen in KL, you really must try the curry one and the spicy ramen. I'm sure you'll love it!

Blur Ting said...

Amel - It would be so nice to have a bowl of spicy hot noodles in your cold country right now!

I'll go over to check out your pic!!

Blur Ting said...

Yes, MH. You must add Ramen and my home-cooked Ah Bahling to your list of 'things to eat' when you return.

Blur Ting said...

Ramen - I suppose you must be a ramen fan...duh!

Anonymous said...

yummm i like the tonkotsu....i like ramen any time...any place....

Mike Minzes said...

I want some!!! I am on my way over!! Don't forget the tea!!!!

Blur Ting said...

Oh JY, I heard one can get really good and cheap ramen in every street corner in Japan. I will eat ramen everyday if I go to Japan!

Blur Ting said...

World - If you have rainy days in UK, you would really appreciate a hot bowl of ramen!

Blur Ting said...

Mike - The rice balls are waiting for you. I don't have the special 'Monkey picks the tea leaves' kind of tea but I guess green tea will do huh?

J@n!ce said...

Ajisen is one of my long time favourite too. Used to visit the one at TM, just outside the GV cinema. What a heavenly soupy dish on a cold day :)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...