Tuesday 18 March 2008

Wednesday breakfast ritual

Every Wednesday morning, SK and I have a special breakfast ritual. His school starts an hour later on Wednesdays, so after dropping YK off at 7am, we have one whole hour to spare.

We always end up at MacDonalds where he always orders a Big Breakfast meal. I'm not a MacDonald's fan and I can't bring myself to drink their regular coffee. So I always order a Long Black which I can't finish because it's not very nice.

When my kids were little, I loved to carry them in my arms even though we had a stroller. They followed me everywhere, to the neighbourhood store, the park and out on my walks. I was a little bit chubby but I had strong, toned arms.

When they were in primary school, I had rituals that revolved around their schedules. I waited for them at the school gate at 1.15pm everyday. My friends wondered why I had a golden tan all year round. Well, the sun is at its hottest at 1pm.

The kids had tuition almost every afternoon. While they were slogging away at the tutor's house, I would be at the running track. I was lean and fit during those years.

Then they progressed to secondary school, and they often finish late. Naturally, I lost my tan. They've also stopped going for daily tuition and I'm not so lean anymore.

For the past 16 years, the kids have been the centre of my life. Before I buy or plan something, schedule an appointment or even say something, I think of the kids first. It's hard to imagine how empty my life will be when they've flown the nest.

Oh well. We'll see when the time comes.

11 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ha :)

Well, no worry, give them 5 years, and they will say, "ma, can you take care of my kids for me!"

By then you will need to plan your life around your grandkids.

OMG that's scary!!! Can you imagine I do that some day?

Blur Ting said...

No thanks! I also want to leave the nest :-)

My uncle, who's almost 70, was at our place one day. Then suddenly, he got up and said, "Oops, I'm late. I need to go pick the grandkids from school."

I hope I won't be planning my schedule around my grandkids!

Blur Ting said...

MH - I can't imagine you doing that though. I think you'll teach them to be independent and won't molly coddle them like they way I do.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hhmm... I talk only... who knows, I may very well become their servant till 90 y/o? Oh my, it's too scary!

Anonymous said...

Blur...you are too sweet...I can only imagine you planning your life around the grand kids.... ha ha ha.....!

Blur Ting said...

haha, JY, I think so too. Even my niece Ting asks me sometimes, "Koo Koo, are you going to send me home today?"

WaterLearner said...

Oh you are really one great mom!! Your love for them is displayed all over your posts here and there!!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

How lovely that you get to spend a little more quality time with SK before school on Wednesdays :-)

SOUL said...

my life has been that way for the last 14 years too. funny how that happens .

i think you and motha both are pregnant!
what's with all the mommy reminiscing? :))

happy humpday!!

Blur Ting said...

Yes Soul, I can fully imagine you atthe school gate, waiting to pick SoulKid, then going to the mall with her. Fighting with her, consoling her... just like a Soul Mommy!

SOUL said...

well.. you got the fighting part right ... :))
just kiddin..
ya she's my girl.. :))

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...