Saturday 15 March 2008

Dreaming


Last night, before bedtime, my friend sent me a drawing done by his mother. It's a charming illustration of his house in Sicily, his little tower called La Torretta. We discussed about his future plans which entails alot of traveling and exchanged information about the books we are currently reading.

Maybe it was my brain going into overdrive again, I dreamt of Italy last night. Dressed in very fashionable clothes, I attended a party on a sprawling rooftop with a panoramic view of the entire city. Judging by the colours and architecture, everything was definitely mediterranean, right down to the climate and food that was served.

Then I went in search of the La Torretta in the dusty hillside. I came to a house that looked strangely familiar but the number on the door wasn't 127. I tried to open the door but it was locked. So it wasn't my friend's little tower afterall.

As I walked further uphill, I came across a marketplace that was teeming with people and vendors. For some reason, I was carrying a large piece of pottery. While fumbling for my camera, I decided to stuff the clay vase into my small bag and was amazed that it could fit snugly inside.

With my camera in hand, I walked closer to the market and strangely, the entire village looked like a place in India. The tattered wooden mud houses, sari-clad women and products were definitely Indian. I had walked right into an Indian village.

I can't remember what happened after that. How the Indian village surfaced in my Italian dream is because of the book I am currently reading. The author spent 4 months in an Ashram in Mumbai, immersed in meditation and contemplation.

Like the other night... After reading Soul Survivor's blog for a year or so, I've learned about her anxieties, favourite hobbies and ailments, and they all manifested in my dream one night.

In my dream, she came to visit (she loves the tropical weather) me at home, together with her daughter (whom she spends alot of time with in real life). I was out in the yard when they arrived. Soul sat next to me and pulled out her notepad (cos she loves writing). Looking for a firm backing to rest her notepad on, she grabbed a handful of leaves from the ground. I looked at her and found that she had grabbed a baby crocodile (why? I don't know) and a dead fish (she loves fishing of course!) amongst the pile of leaves.

Seeing the croc, I screamed out loud which alarmed her so much, she fainted. We were trying to revive her when I woke up.

I told her about the dream and she began wondering if it's a bad omen. I said, "No, it's just me and my over-active brain."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting dream, but cute drawing!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hahaha this is so cool :)
And funny :)
Crocodile and Dead fish huh? :)

I would have fainted too :)
Ohhh this is just so lovely, I wish I have dreams like that, ah maybe tonight I'll be dreaming about you cooking... duck!!! :)

Blur Ting said...

JY - The drawing is so whimsical, I wish I can draw like that too.

Blur Ting said...

MH - You know, I dream about the weirdest things at night. Last night, I dreamt my office is in London :-)

Unknown said...

love the drawing. i would love to be able to draw like that. :)

WaterLearner said...

Very Interesting dream indeed! Nice drawing too.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...