Monday 10 March 2008

What's your talent?

All my life, I have always wondered where my talent lies. For some people, it can be very obvious like if they're musically inclined or talented in dancing.

Until now, I haven't discovered my talent. My mum always says God is fair because everyone is talented in some way. Perhaps being adaptable, independent and able to cook quickly are some of my talents.

While some kids excel in academia or in sports, I often wonder what my kids are really good at. They were both quite artistic when young, so I gave them loads of drawing paper and crayons to get them started. The results were encouraging. Whilst both have different artistic styles, I always admire their artworks.


YK's renderings.

As they grow older and pursue other areas of interest, drawing took a backseat. I often observe what they're passionate about. For a start, the brothers are as different as night and day. While YK can whip up a delicious meal in minutes, SK can't even fry an egg. YK picks up knowledge quickly but I worry about SK sometimes. He is the quieter one who spends hours outside, tinkering with his aquarium.

Recently I watched SK as he systematically set up his aquariums and realised that's where his passion lies. He took great care in washing the tanks, cleaning the filter, arranging sand and rocks, and choosing aquatic plants and fishes. The results were pretty impressive for a 14 year old.


He's probably the biggest animal lover at home. I can always rely on him to feed the dogs, bathe them, play with them and take good care of their welfare. Ah, now I finally know where his talent lies.
Best friends.

10 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I think everyone has their own talents thought some don't really show it all that well. My two boys are the exact opposite too, one is just too hyper active and always drawing on some piece of paper and the other fellow is just plain quiet. I'm still trying to figure out his talent though :P

The World According To Me said...

I think that's very true, we are all talented in different ways, big and small.

For what it's worth I think you are a talented writer, and you certainly know how to capture a moment on camera.

I love your sons drawing!

Anonymous said...

you are such a good mom....quietly realizing where your son's talents lie...and not pushing or demanding... i hope i can be the same with Coffee as she gets older! me? no talent whatsoever! ha!

WaterLearner said...

Your talent is the ability to be a mom without appearing too domineering as a mother figure. More like a friend. Also, you know what, I think you have a natural flair of writing mundane everyday things in life in a natural and appealing manner.

It's midweek. Weekend is near!!

Amel said...

AWWWWWWWWWWW...Rusty looks SO cozy in SK's lap!!!

My brother's the talented one in music...and cooking...and massaging!!! I used to think that I SUCKED BIG TIME in cooking until I moved here HA HA HA HA...Well, I'm not an expert cook, but I'm MUCH MUCH better now that I'm on my own. ;-D

Speaking of talent, I guess I've always loved writing...and I've heard some people tell me that I'm good at writing. How much I'm good at it doesn't really matter...what matters most is that I can do what I like doing. :-)))))

Blur Ting said...

Nick, it doesn't matter really where their talent lies. Even we ourselves can't pinpoint our own talents! I always feel that as long as the child is healthy and have no major difficulties in learning, they'll be fine.

Blur Ting said...

Thanks World, for all the compliments.

Blur Ting said...

Oh JY, you're a really good mommy too :-) In fact, when you sit down and write, you can write so well. I can still remember your stories of the days in japan and how you met your hubby etc. Really good writing!

Blur Ting said...

Thanks Water. I am a relaxed kind of mum but I know some people frown on my mothering skills thinking that I am too lax and don't push my kids enough. Oh well...

Blur Ting said...

Amel - That's how SK spoils Rusty!!

You didn't realise that besides writing, you have 1 big talent. You're good at cheering people up and motivating others. Plus you're able to see the positive side of things and you're always grateful for what you have. All these are very important qualities which many people are lacking.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...