Friday 25 May 2007

Gut-feel

I have been thinking a lot about intuition and gut feel lately, thanks to the Turkey trip.

We finally made the decision to cancel the trip but why didn’t I think of it earlier? Right from the start, there was a gut feel that didn’t sit quite right with me. I didn’t dare tell my parents or the kids where I was going for my next vacation. I was planning to say “Europe” because I didn’t want them to worry about my safety. Who am I kidding?

When I was younger, I would jump on any chance to do something dangerous or exciting. I’d almost accepted a job in Club Med, Mauritius because it sounded exciting. I probably have done and seen more than most of my friends. But as I grow older, I try to be more responsible and risk-adverse.

I remember one year, I made a business trip to Hong Kong and Shanghai while SARS was just rearing its ugly head. Mum and the kids warned me not to go. I was adamant about going to meet my associates who were flying in from USA. I can’t simply cancel. The epidemic escalated to great proportions which left many people dead. Needless to say, my family members were worried sick. When I got home, mum refused to talk to me for 2 days. I felt terrible. Finally what she said knocked some sense into this thick skull of mine. “Don’t just think of yourself next time. What will happen if you bring back the disease and spread to everyone in the family. Do you think it’s a wise thing to do?”

I know I should trust my gut feel more often. If there is ever a need to hide anything from the ones who care about you, whether it is that wrong man you’re dating, or a sleazy job you’re doing, a dangerous place you’re heading to or a risky activity you’re doing… then back off. It is probably not the best thing for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blur,

I have ALWAYS been a firm believer in trusting my gut. It has never steered me wrong. Its the times where I was too much "in my head" and rationalized away my gut feelings that I wound up sorry.

Definitely always remember that at some level inside of you - you know the right thing to do. It's just a matter of quieting your mind enough to hear it.

Blur Ting said...

I know. Sometimes your mind takes over and tries to make all kinds of excuses to justify for that bad decision you're about to make. That's when everything starts to go wrong. It has happened to me too many times.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...