Sunday 20 May 2007

Just do it

While I was out running in KL yesterday, a mini-drama was unfolding back home. YK was running a high fever. Because he’s allergic to some drugs, mum was hesitant about giving him any medication. Poor YK slumbered the day away. When I got home in the evening, his fever was at an all-time high. I rushed him to the clinic and the doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics for his upper chest infection.

Being the drama-king that he is, he said “I can’t believe you were overseas doing some silly run while I was dying in my room!”

It doesn’t help that the kids always choose the worst time to fall sick. I often receive phone calls from mum telling me the kids or pets have fallen ill. Of course there isn’t much I can do when I am halfway across the world except ensure they’re sent for treatment.

It’s tough but being a working mother who travels several times a year, I have learned to cope. When they were younger, I devoted all my time to them but as they become more independent, I found more time for myself. I think finding the right balance (without neglecting them in any way) is really important for my own well-being. I see it as a natural process of loosening the apron string, afterall the kids are going to leave the nest one day. Meanwhile, I’m sure they’d rather hang around with a happy and supportive mum.

I have wondered aloud if there’s a best time for me to go on a journey or do something for myself… and my best friend always tells me, "There’s never a best time, just do it." She’s right. Life will still go on.

Besides, I know she’ll always be there for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's so important to have time of you own - your little space so that you can be happy yourself. And when you are happy and healthy so will your kids. In my opinions kids with well-balanced parents always grow up as responsible adults who respect others' boundaries!
P.S: I used to make my mom feel guilty too if she wasn't there when I was sick - a little ploy to make her feel bad so that she'd give me liberties.. wicked I know. But I was was a kid ;)

Blur Ting said...

Yup, I always fall for that one. You would too when you become a mom yourself!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...