Friday 14 December 2007

Like father, like daughter

I never knew this would happen but I'm beginning to see many similarities between my folks and I.

I often catch myself 'lecturing' the kids in exactly the same manner mum lectured me when I was a teenager. I even use the same sentences and expressions I heard decades ago like "If you don't wish to study hard and do well in school, it's your own funeral, not mine." or "Come straight home after school. Don't let me catch you lingering and loitering about."

Everyone tells me I look like my dad. While I can't see the strong physical resemblence, I find myself taking after him in other ways. Like him, I have a sweet tooth and enjoy running and physical activities. I certainly inherited his muscular physique! I'm entrepreneurial like him and I even find our style of running business quite similar.

We have the same taste. In the mornings, he prepares an extra portion of steamed sweet potato and corn for me (our favourite) and we pack our healthy lunch (of bananas and sandwiches) to work and we both enjoy snacking on groundnuts.

We often buy the same kind of bread, fruit or pastries home. One day, I bought a special pastry (probably the first time I've ever bought it) to find him bringing the same thing home that day.

Mum says it because we have that father-daughter connection. She's probably right.

7 comments:

J@n!ce said...

Blur, you are Daddy's BIG gal now....wowow :)

WaterLearner said...

For me it's half-half. I have some traits of my father and some of my mom.

Unknown said...

i can just picture the two of you in matching Adidas running shoes and jackets :) CUTE!

Amel said...

Personality-wise, I'm definitely like my Dad he he he...but like my Mom, we never did any office job. But I like reading just like my Dad. I used to have a sweet tooth but since my Dad had diabetes at the age of 40 something, I became afraid of eating too much sweet stuff he he he...

Anonymous said...

like father like daughter????

The Real Mother Hen said...

Yeah hor, now you mentioned, I think you do look like your dad

The World According To Me said...

My mum reckons I take after my father, as we both drift off into our own worlds on a regular basis!
Oh and we both loooooove cheese!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...