Wednesday 29 August 2007

Going bananas

In my new breakfast 'regime' (diet), I've ditched ...

THIS!
My favourite Skippy Chunky peanut butter.
AND THIS!!

The aromatic Miel (honey) from the Lavender fields of Provence.

FOR THIS!!!
The humble banana!

Let me tell you why you should never look at bananas the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

It's a natural remedy for many ailments too!

Depression: People suffering from depression feel much better after eating a banana. It contains tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood.

Blood Pressure: It's extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure.

Brain Power: Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber. Including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin can reduce swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12, potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around.

It's so cheap too! What are you waiting for? Go grab a banana today!

Ciao!

Ting, the ambassador of bananas!

18 comments:

Dan said...

For a second there I thought you gave up peanut butter and honey for cute girls. Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :)

Blur Ting said...

Ha ha, I take it as a compliment!

Unknown said...

Hooray for bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S! I'll try rubbing the peel next time I get a mosquito bite and hope the smell doesn't attract the ants. ^o^

Blur Ting said...

Don't blame me if you get ant bites huh! :-)

Anyway, let me know if it works on mosquito bites. I haven't tried it yet.

Anonymous said...

I loooove bananas!! Yum! I should probably stock up to battle the onset of SAD this winter. Ugh!

On a lighter note, does Rusty like bananas? :)

Blur Ting said...

Good question Holly. I don't know. I'll give him some when I get back today. He loves peanuts! Once I dropped some whole peanuts on the floor and he sat there chewing off the shell and eating the nuts inside. He's so good at it! When he sees me eating peanuts, he would come running my way.

SOUL said...

i have almost ALL of those..... gimmee some bananas. geesh. who knew? how'd you find out all that? hmmm
time for an experiment i believe.
latah

Blur Ting said...

Hi Soul, someone sent me an email about the wonders of banana and ask that I spread the message. I hope it's all correct info :-P

SOUL said...

PS... i dont have warts... and i just linked you on my page.
:))
i wanna go to paris!
have fun

Anonymous said...

i like bananas TOO

Blur Ting said...

Thanks Soul! I'm linking back :-))

Come Paris with me! And Bananas is good for you and JYankee too!

The World According To Me said...

Wow, I didn't know all that about a banana!

I will never look at one in the same light again.

And coincidently, I have just eaten one!

SOUL said...

don't feed your dog a banana til you make sure it's not some weird dog toxic thing. so many things you don't hink about are bad for dogs... chocolate, raisins, grapes, who knew?
take it ez..thanks for the link.

Unknown said...

I LOVE bananas. When I was a kid I could eat 12 in one go. I was a real chubby little kid

Blur Ting said...

Yup Soul! CH is forever reminding me what not to feed the dogs. It's a long list!

He he, RM, it's hard to imagine you as a fat kid but eating 12 bananas at one go is ALOT!

SOUL said...

is bananas on that list?

J@n!ce said...

My boys love bananas. I don't really love the stickiness it gets on the mouth. Its difficult for me to ditch the peanut butter. You have exactly the picture of what I am eating now :)

Janiceng SEO Traffic

Blur Ting said...

Ok, Soul. I'll post a list of forbidden food for dogs.

Janice - I really love the crunchy Skippy peanut butter. It's da best!
Actually I don't like the sticky feeling banana gives me too.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...