Monday 28 July 2008

Kicking up dust

Due to the pain in my neck, I skipped running yesterday which made me feel a little out of sorts. Running does funny things to you. When you're on a roll, you would find any excuse to go for a run.

Cool weather is perfect for running. Rainy days are perfect too. We run out the moment the rain stops to enjoy the crisp fresh air. Overcast days are also great. We try to complete our run before the thunderstorm rolls in. Heck, even sunny days are good. At least we get a tan while running. It's good if you can start the day with a run. A relaxing run before bedtime is even better. Anytime is a good time.

Then again, a runner can get into a rut and lose the passion for running sometimes. We have off days too. We start to skip one session. Then another, and another. We can always find an excuse not to run. The weather's too hot. Too wet. Too muggy. Too late. Too early. Too busy. Too lazy.

If we're lucky, someone comes around and kick our butt. We start out again with difficulty and rediscover the passion. Then we wonder why we had even stopped in the first place.

Believe me, it always feels good after a run.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly eating your dust in terms of running now!

Blur Ting said...

I need to be that someone who comes round kicking butt! Watch out!

J@n!ce said...

I rem I am mad abt running abt 10 yrs ago. I will run along the track near Ghim Moh after my work on alternate days & again on Sunday with my siblings. It really feels good after a good run. We brought the boys to cycle at ECP yeserday. I din know that the bicycle rental is "2+1 hrs" on weekdays. So cheap. We pay S$16 for the whole family (including maid) to cycle for 3 hrs. Now my shoulder hurts so badly. I got sun burnt. It wasn't a HOT day but I still get "toasted". LOL :D

Blur Ting said...

Wah Janice! You should get crazy about running again especially since you're a tai tai! Next time your kids go cycling, you can go running mah. We all leh, stay in the office and work :-)

WaterLearner said...

I put up a training programme on the fridge door so that it is a routine for me to run lor. Else also quite easy to get into that lazy mode at times :-)

WaterLearner said...

BTW .. you signed up for the Bay Run? As you know, I would not be in Singapore that weekend.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I know how difficult to start running again after a break. I've made up all sorts of excuses before not to run like aliens would kidnap me and all that (LOL) but when it comes down to it, once you start running, you just don't wanna stop :D Right now, I need a good butt kicking!

Blur Ting said...

Hi Water
Yah I signed up already. I know you'll be traveling but actually I would rather be traveling than running :-)

Blur Ting said...

Hey Nick, you have a valid excuse lah. Your knees are hurting. You ought to get it checked. Then your wifey can kick your butt!

JY69 said...

yep..i don't run, but i've definitely been keeping up with the bike riding... even in this "#$%& heat!!" LOL... take care..and stay healthy!

Anonymous said...

I used to run during uni years, usually at night, after finishing assignment or project work and sometimes could be as late as midnight. Still remember those winter nights, started out so cold but after an hour run I was sweaty! These days I don't run anymore, I prefer to walk the dog (or rather, she walks me :) And my little one will come along and we chat all the way - I really like that.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

I used to love running, but then it started hurting my knee and I no longer go :-( Hope you feel better soon.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hope your neck pain is gone by now though.

Blur Ting said...

JY - Biking for 30minutes a day, in your case it is X2= 1hr a day, is fantastic exercise! You save on fuel too.

Blur Ting said...

CKL - Keep up with teh walking and bonding with kids and doggie. Sounds like a really nice way to workout!

Blur Ting said...

Fish -Many runners face that same problem and resort to brisk walking to save those knees. When I was out running yesterday,my shin was hurting and I was thinking to myself, are my running days over?

Blur Ting said...

MH - Yes, thank goodness the pain is almost completely gone now. Gee, we really take health for granted. One tiny setback like neckache and we feel like hell the whole day!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...