Monday 14 July 2008

Reflection

I drove more than 200km yesterday making several trips to school and back. That may not seem like alot but considering how small Singapore is, that is alot of mileage on a normal day. For your info, our island extends 41.8 km (26 mi) east - west and 22.5 km (14 mi) north - south and has a coastline of 193 km (120 mi).

On the road, I grumbled under my breath about the rising fuel prices and hot afternoon sun. I could be spending my time doing proper work instead of driving around like a madman! Then I recalled something my dad said when we moved back to live with them.

He said that he'll do his best to help me bring up my kids. Once we have brought the kids into this world, it is our responsibility to bring them up properly, giving them the best we can afford. I felt tremendously touched at his words. In one sentence, he spoke for himself, for me and for all the parents in this world.
.
When I recall those words, the memory of how hard I had fought for the custody of the kids came flooding back. At that time, I would even drive all the way to the moon and back if I had to just to have the kids by my side. What's the fuss about driving those few extra miles today? Sometimes it is too easy to take things for granted. That's why one should reflect every now and then.
.
Well, here is a reflection in the mirror this morning. My hair is still super flat but I'm not complaining. I really should be thankful I still have a head full of hair.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

well it is easy to forget about the value of our kids and all that on a day-to-day grind...but yes..when something you value is threatened...you bet we'd go to the moon (or further) and back for them!
and yeah..your hair looks great by the way!!!! what you worried about????!!! LOL

Blur Ting said...

Yah JY. You summarised it very well. My hair - you've just seen the best photo. The other pictures (hair plastered to my head) looked like I have just stepped out of the shower.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, the boys need to learn how to help you reduce unnecessary trips. It's important for them to value you too.

Blur Ting said...

CH - True that.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Wow, 200km in a day and I thought I drove a lot ... LOL!

But I guess when it really comes down to it, we'd do anything to protect our family.

I know I'd go through the gates of hell and back for my family.

You do a good job, BT!

J@n!ce said...

You never fail to remind me how great a woman you are. Yes, no matter how much sacrifice so long as the children are safely in our hands...

Your hair looks perfectly NICE. I understand what you mean by the flatness. You have not seen the worst flatness on my hair yet. haha :)

The World According To Me said...

I think your hair looks great!

It's very easy to take things for granted, and always nice when we stop and remember how hard things were once and how far we've come...

WaterLearner said...

Looking good!

It's good to sit down and look back once in a while. To relook our priorities and recalibrate ourselves.

Have a Great Tuesday!!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hey your hair looks good! :)

CH has wise words on this.

SOUL said...

i'll take your hair-- i've never been able to grow my hair out-- it gets vicious and tries to wrap around my neck and strangle me.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...