Thursday 3 July 2008

Too good to resist?

Last night, I was given a proposal that was too good to resist yet I rejected it immediately. A friend offered me a job in an international financial institution headquarted in Europe with offices spanning the globe. The company posted a net profit in excess of EUR100 million last financial year. Imagine the perks of working for a profitable company like this.

While I felt honoured, I just couldn't consider the offer at all. What's going to happen to my company and staff if I were to work for the bank? Of course the remuneration would be extremely attractive, but in the long run, the satisfaction of running my own company will not be there. Being self employed, I have the freedom to juggle my time anyway I like and I've never had anyone looking over my shoulders all these years.

I have seen how hard my jet-setter friends work and how much time they spend on conference calls, presentations, boardroom meetings and executive lunches. I'm not even talking about dealing with sales targets and office politics or currying favours. I guess I'm just not cut out for that kind of lifestyle.

To me, freedom is priceless. I guess there's nothing to regret in this case.

10 comments:

mooiness said...

Too bad the offer did not come when you have the time and less responsibilities for the kids and your staff, isn't it?

Sometimes it feels like fate is playing a big game with our lives. But on the other hand, like me you can see the value of the simple things in life which does not require money or prestige. :)

Blur Ting said...

Mooiness - I probably wouldn't get the offer any earlier because it took me several years to gain the necessary experience. But yah, the job entails alot of traveling and hobnobbing, not something I can easily do right now.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Yeah, there is nothing like having the total freedom of being your own boss. I'd like to achieve that one day but until then, I'll just have to be content with being a slave to this company ...

Happy weekend to you.

The World According To Me said...

Yep, your freedom is important.
Even though it was an impressive proposal, I expect it felt good knowing you are happy with your life the way it is. And honoured to be offered the role!

Blur Ting said...

Hey Nick, you'll achieve your dream one day. Maybe one day you just feel like breaking free.

Blur Ting said...

World - I need the freedom right now because of the kids. Well, I welcome that kind of pay too but I can't have both.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

It's great that you got such a great offer even though you have good reasons for not wanting it. The extra money would be lovely I am sure, but it sounds as if you'd be giving up a lot for it and it's just not worth it.

The Real Mother Hen said...

You just gotta do what you gotta do :)

Amel said...

GREAT decision, Blur!!! I understand what you mean. ;-D

WaterLearner said...

As long as it's a conscious choice on your part .. hey gal, it's your life. Sculpt it the way you want!

Some might say you are being plain stupid, others would quiet admire your will, some would scream "bravo!". But ultimately it's your life. It's what you want and the qualities you value that really matters.

I would do the same too. To me, quality and value of life does not come in units of dollars and cents. Neither is it measured against any title on namecards that one gives out.

Have a Wonderful Weekend. It's raining now. Probably can't run today huh :-)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...