Tuesday 1 September 2009

Mum's cooking

You know how mums who cook simply love to feed an appreciative crowd. Seeing their family and friends licking their plates clean motivates them to work harder in the kitchen.

I've seen many advertisements featuring the rolly-polly aunty-type with tight curls on their head, beaming with pride at the dinner table. They seem to know how to make the best curries and kueh kueh (traditional cakes).

I'm stereo-typing of course but look at me, I'm beginning to join the aunty brood. YK's best friend stayed for dinner last night. Knowing how he loves my fish slice mee suah (noodle) soup, I went the extra mile to prepare that special dish despite having a big pot of fish head curry boiling on the stove. We had so much fish last night!

Oh, but the joy of seeing the boys slurping up every bit of of the soup made it worth the while. I was grinning from ear to ear like a chubby aunty minus the curls on my head.

But really, what good is a cook if you have nobody to feed? Feeding someone who appreciates it is even better, it spurs you on to create better dishes. Food that is cooked with love and passion always turns out good.

Even Rusty can tell the difference. If the chicken breast that he gets is one that is boiled with TLC, he will gobble it up quickly. On the other hand, he'll reject hastily cooked food, returning to eat only when he is absolutely starving.

3 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

i can never imagine u in curls, Blur Ting! tis entry is too visual + tickled me so much! hahahahahahaha.....

my frd, 25 years old young girl (anyone below me age is young now LOL), did something really big with her hair and asked me to guess. when i said cut everything short (she has long hair), dye, or highlight, she chided me for not being creative.

she perm her head in the end! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......we're meeting up for the ice ceram thingy this Sunday, and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HER HEAD OF CURLS.

oh, she forbids me to blog her photo. hahahahahaha.....

i wondered the reaction of her fiance. kekekeke.....oh my.....

Petunia Lee said...

I joined the aunty ranks years ago... and wear it as a personal badge of honour. You're right you know... I grab people, tie them to the chair and make them eat what I cook. the nicest to feed are the teenagers. They eat a lot and they are appreciative too!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...