Thursday 24 September 2009

Small world

EE treated me to Japanese lunch this afternoon. She had been traveling, so it was great to catch up with her before she jets off again. As usual, we spent hours chatting and laughing. That was when we realised how small the world is.

First of all, I thought I spotted an old admirer in the mall. Even though I went through great lengths to avoid him, I ended up sitting behind him in the same restaurant. Halfway through lunch, EE's brother suddenly appeared before us. He was eating at Subway when he spotted us in the restaurant.

While chatting with EE, I found out that her daughter's (EH, my god-daughter) in the preschool that ordered our gardening kit for Children's Day next week. As it turns out, the school principal Melissa is a friend of EE's cousin. Melissa is now my customer and EH will be growing vegetables next week!

Talking about vegetables, I cooked my kai lan (kale) for dinner tonight. I had harvested them a little too late, so the stems were too fibrous and chewy.

There wasn't enough kale to feed the family, so I stir-fried some sprouts (dou miao) as well.

For protein, I seasoned salmon with salt, pepper and olive oil before chucking it into the oven for some 30 minutes.

I also made a seafood Cioppino using fresh mussells and shrimps cooked in spicy tomato stock. It looks messy but tastes delicious!

Finally, I made YK's favourite tofu drenched in sesame oil, soy sauce and oyster sauce and topped with chopped shallots and lightly fried anchovies.

It was a simple but satisfying dinner!

7 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Be is small or big as one perceives, we live in an interdependent world!

Children's Day gifts to add consciousness to nature is great!

charlie hotel said...

Someone's been eating well today!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

very good meal i see!

Petunia Lee said...

It didn't look simple to me! It looked sooooo elaborate and yummy!

The Real Mother Hen said...

You certainly eat well, and oh, you're such a great cook, your dishes look so yummy!!! Ohhhhh!!!

EE said...

Yummy yummy.Need recipe for the cioppino. Where to get the mussels? I love them!
P.S. Thanks for the company :-)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Aiyaaaaa, I haven't had lunch and your pictures of food is making my tummy growl ...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...