Saturday 8 August 2009

Time waits for no man

It's the start of a long weekend and I'm trying to complete all the housework quickly so that I have a clean home to chill in during the holiday.

The way the weeks fly by so quickly frightens me sometimes. Time waits for no one and I'm not ready to grow up so quickly.

I'm not a great planner but I tend to look at my life in stages. Ten years from now, the boys should have completed their tertiary education. That means I'll finally be free to do whatever I like. I'll take a whole year off to do nothing but travel. I have the next 10 years to put my plan together so that I can go places without worrying about money and the kids.

Once you become a parent, you can't help but build your life around the kids. CH and I were discussing about the haze in Singapore. I said we first experienced it in September 1994, though he didn't think it was that far back.

Well, how can I forget the date? I had just given birth to SK. When we left the hospital, the sky was dull and grey, the entire city was shrouded in haze. Within days, I developed a cough that wouldn't go away for weeks, I had to stop breastfeeding due to bronchitis. The haze became a worsening problem which peaked in 1997 when it reached dangerous levels.

Using the kids as reference helps me remember things better. My best friend got married in 1995 when YK was just over a year old because I recall running after him all night at the wedding banquet, I hardly had the chance to eat.

YK went on his first vacation to Tioman Island when I was heavily pregnant with his little brother. The following year, when SK was learning to walk, we all flew to Surabaya to visit a friend.

While the first 10 years of their life went by uneventfully, it was a tumultuous journey for me. Things took a turn the year YK turned 10 when his parents finally split up. Suddenly the boys found themselves trying to cope in a different environment. It was a difficult time for them.

YK is already in his late teens. They have both adjusted well; life has been peaceful and comfortable for us in the last 5 years or so.

Now I find myself planning for the next 10 years. Will I be able to fulfill my dreams and goals? They're not lofty ones, so I certainly hope so. Like what mum always says, "Time and tide wait for no man...", I mustn't fritter time away.

6 comments:

Amel said...

Bronchitis? It was that bad? Oh dear...SO sorry to hear about this. :-((((

And GOOD LUCK in fulfilling your dreams. I also have some dreams, but I don't know yet when they will come true (esp. about having kids 'coz we just don't know when they'll come)...but dream I will...

I'm actually considering studying something next year if I still haven't gotten pregnant and still haven't gotten a job yet...we'll see. Need to look at the study options first and ponder, ponder, ponder. :-D

The World According To Me said...

Here's to all your dreams coming true Blur. I wish you nothing but the best things in life.

Blur Ting said...

Amel - I hope Bandung isn't affected by the haze when you return. It's the dry season and the forest fires are raging.

Don't worry too much and just pursue your studies first. Then again, I took a marketing diploma and was doing fine. Then I got pregnant and the baby came and I found myself with too many things on my hands. I didn't complete the entire course but I had no regrets.

Blur Ting said...

Thank you World. All my best to you too!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

You've done well BT. Here's looking forward to an even greater rest of your life :D

auntielucia said...

Blur, u r typically the "when life hands u a lemon, u make lemonade" person. Congrats n do spread yr philosophy further!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...