Sunday 6 January 2008

The apprentice

Looks like a busy work week ahead. My business associate from Thailand has sent his son here for training. It's funny how I have an apprentice now when merely 6 years ago, I was a 'noob' in the industry, grappling with unimaginable problems and terminologies used in our trade.

I've been thinking over the weekend how time changes everything. I went into the business with completely no knowledge but I took my time to learn. What started out as a leisurely home-based business has grown into a full-fledged company that requires alot of nurturing and my undivided attention. Over the years, I have learned to be responsible to the staff, customers and business associates.

Just like when I first started blogging, I had a small pool of readers. I wrote whenever I like on anything under the sun. It was liberating. Slowly, as I garnered more support from my regular readers, I felt that I should become a more responsible blogger, especially to cater to some of my young readers like my niece.

When I started running for leisure years ago, none of my friends were runners, so I ran alone at my own pace whenever I felt like running. Now that I am part of a running club, I am beginning to feel the heat. What used to be a stress relief for me is beginning to work against me. As I participate in more running events and group training sessions, timing and performance come into play. I watch with envy as the other runners disappear into the distance ahead of me, leaving me trailing behind.

I'm not very competitive by nature and dread being put under any unnecessary pressure. I want to be free as a bird when I run, not rush around, fitting into training schedules or looking behind my shoulder to see if I am the last one to finish. This self-inflicted pressure is eating into me. I just want to run, not chase marathons or count the medals I have collected!

10 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Blur,

I can relate to the pressure that you are talking about when you run in a group. As you know, I am a lone runner at the moment. Most friends can't understand why I do not join and running club to have people to talk to. Won't I feel lonely? Haha.. But I am just me. I like that sense of freedom of running at my own pace and cover the distance that I want to cover. No obligations to run faster or slower. Maybe I am just a selfish runner?!

Whether you work for people or for yourself, life is competitive and the element of stress is always present in the lives of everyone in Singapore. I hate stress. I hate also having to conform, too. But as you would probably agree, at times circumstances leave one with no choice.

Hence running is my virtual escape. Much as I hope to do my first marathon soon, I hope to keep running as my passion at the moment.

But I am always behind you watching you complete those marathons. Just don't stretch yourself too hard.

Have a Good Week Ahead Buddy!

SOUL said...

i just came in to say hello.

i always like to read your insightful posts..and of course you food posts. and your travel posts. and ummm... i guess i just like YOU. :))

i see a lot of growth and change here, and that is good.
if the running thing isn't what you want right now-- remember it is a choice at this point, and not so much an obligation. perhaps you could let the group thing go for a while, and enjoy it alone or with one other friend for a while? just until you feel more relaxed and able to commit.?

you always have so much to do-- seems running really should be fun, and not work for you.
just sayin.

:)) happy sunday--or monday :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Blur..

Yeah...I know what you mean. Running should be the ONE thing that's enjoyable for ya.. not work..ya know.....

Blur Ting said...

Thanks guys. Yah, I do enjoy running. You're right, it should be something I do for fun, at least something I look forward to everytime. Have a great day!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Do you get to say "you're fired" to the apprentice? :)
Man I wish I can be in your office now and pretend to look like the sexy assistant :)

Blur Ting said...

Ha ha, you're so funny MH. Come, come. You can tell him "You're fired!" :-)

The Real Mother Hen said...

Oh I'd LOVE to be the bad hair Mr Trump!
And you can be the very sexy daughter :)

La delirante said...

Hi! I really enjoyed reading your post :) "Just like when I first started blogging, I had a small pool of readers" When I started blogging I didn't know anything about bloggers' communities and I didn't interact with bloggers because I didn't know how :) So, almost nobody visited my blog :) Nowadys I have some regular visitors and it's nice to see that there is some feedback too :)

Have a nice week!

Amel said...

I understand what you mean about unwanted pressure. I also am NOT a competitive person by nature. Hope you can go back to running for pleasure, at least when you're not a participant at a marathon race!

And I know what you mean about blogging, too.

SOUL said...

i bet it's lunchtime on monday?? am i right?
whatcha eatin?
i hope you are havin a good day
ps--i love the you're fired thing
GO MOTHA
:))
laterz

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...