Thursday 24 January 2008

I am who I am

Come to think of it, I'm always surrounded by males. I grew up with two brothers, now I live with two sons and three male dogs.

Maybe that's why some friends say I think like a man. I make swift decisions, I'm not afraid of sweat and dirt, I don't wear frilly clothes and I'm physically quite strong.

It's probably a good thing because I can't afford to be a damsel-in-distress given my circumstances. Now that we're living with my parents, I'm expected to maintain the garden, wash my own car, bathe the dogs and do some yard work.

I've also become quite skilful at assembling furniture, refurbishing old cupboards, sawing trees and digging trenches.

In my line of work, I can't afford to be helpless either. Walking through puddles, surveying containers under the hot sun and climbing into dark, dank containers are part and parcel of my job.

When I was younger, I often wished to be more feminine, just like the legendary four Chinese beauties. I envied women with delicate frames who could wear flouncy dresses. Who can blame our young minds for having such fanciful thoughts after all the literature we've been fed.

John Keats wrote "A thing of beauty is a joy forever". But of course, we all know beauty is transient. Beauty is also in the eye of the beholder. As long as my beholder is not complaining, I am happy with who I am!


My son and our male dogs. We've no more room for bitches.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nevermind, you don't have to be the 4 Chinese Beauties but you can be Hua Mulan.

WaterLearner said...

Haha! My parents also complain that I am quite a TomBoy and my natural speaking volume is a bit too loud for ladies. But .. like what you have said, if your beholder finds you beautiful in your very own way, why fret?

Happy Friday!

Blur Ting said...

Yah, I can be Mulan!

Blur Ting said...

karen - Oh really? My mum always say I'm a tomboy too, especially when she sees me with dirt on my face when I'm digging in the garden.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

To me, it doesn't matter what the person looks like. It's what's inside that counts.

Happy Weekend BT!

Blur Ting said...

Nick - If only all men think like you...then women don't have to work so hard at being beautiful liao

Amel said...

LOVE this post!!!! :-)))) Especially your last paragraph HE HE HE HE HE...

Well, my parents never complained about my being a tomboy, though I do feel that I'm a bit tomboyish he he he...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...