Wednesday 9 January 2008

My resolution

We're ten days into the new year and I've been reading about people breaking their new year's resolutions. Not me. Well, that's because I haven't made any. Good on ya, Blur Ting!

What's the point of making resolutions if you're going to break them. I used to love making a list everyday.... the longer the better! When I was in the design business, there were projects to complete and deadlines to meet everyday. Without a list, life would be a chaos.

It became a habit to make a list even outside of work. From "Things to buy" to "People to call" "Ways to improve my life" and "Books I've read"... my life was ruled by lists. I could cite phone numbers and street directions off the top of my head. I was everyone's walking directory.

Today, I eschew all lists. It's not something I'm terribly proud of but my priorities have shifted as I move into another phase of my life. I believe in spontaneity now. While I used to slog away in the office round the clock (without any vacation), I now realise that life goes on when I'm not around. Things don't fall apart when I'm away on holiday. I'm not that indispensable you know. Besides, nobody will hate me if I'm taking a well deserved break, sipping pina-colada under palm trees.

Of course I'm not advocating being irresponsible but we must learn to be kind to ourselves. If you're always sacrificing your time for everyone else, you'll suffer from burnout very quickly. I have seen that happen too many times. Nobody wins in the end (except your boss).

Back to resolutions.... I guess you would know by now that 'being kind to myself' tops the list. Oh, I forgot. There is no list. It's the one and only resolution! Isn't it great that it's an all encompassing one? I guess that means 'eating well', 'sleeping well', 'getting enough rest', 'doing the things I enjoy'... I love my resolution!

Another one just came up. I resolve to pry the kids out of bed 5 minutes earlier in the morning. For the first time in 5 years, YK was late yesterday and just made it before the school gate closed this morning (phew!). The morning traffic has gotten worse this year. I think most parents are keeping to their resolution of leaving the house early!

7 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Your "List" looks absolutely great!!! I think I am in quite the same age group as you are. We have gone past the period whereby trying to impress and perform and to be as indispensible as possible is a sign of success. Right?

I also hope to be more spontaneous to life. Be less serious about my work and be kinder on myself.

Cheers!

Blur Ting said...

Good on you Water! But you're much younger than me lah. Once you have kids, your may have to start making a list again :-)

WaterLearner said...

Blur .. You are indeed blur. I am not that young. I don't know when this List Craze would come alive again. For the time being, I hope to sit back, relax and learn to live life one day at a time. Moment by Moment.

Anonymous said...

i second that too... no lists...

Amel said...

GREAT resolutions! ;-D On the contrary, I never made any before and since I moved to Finland, I made some mental resolutions and they've helped me A LOT he he he...

Other than that, when I make new resolutions, I normally write about simpler things that I can actually achieve...but I don't go on kicking myself anymore if I break any of them he he he he he...

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I don't have a resolution list cos just like you said, why bother if you're going to always break them.

But if I did have a resolution, it would be to live life to the fullest. Is that even a resolution? LOL!

Blur Ting said...

Of course it is, Nick! And you mustn't break that resolution (not that it's very hard to do)!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...