Wednesday 30 January 2008

A mother's intuition

I often surprise my kids by telling them exactly what's in their head. My uncanny ability to read their mind almost always shock them.

"Sure I know what you're thinking. I've been watching you from birth. So, don't think you can ever fool me." *insert evil grin here*

Mothers have very fine-tuned observation skills when it comes to their children. We know when something is not right with the kids. When they were babies, I could tell by the intensity of their cries whether they were hungry, tired, bored or unwell.

Now that they're older, I could tell from their body language if they had a tiff with their friend at school or if something's troubling them. True enough, it will all start spilling out before I can even utter a word. My kids will never hide anything from me.

If they're hanging around in my room, acting restless and edgy, it probably means they have a ridiculous request that I would most likely shoot down like "Can you drive out to the store to get Ben & Jerry's? or "I have a craving."

"Huh! At 9.30pm? Not when I'm about to go to bed right? And, why aren't you studying for your biology test tomorrow?"

They always win of course. Well, after years of practice, they have perfected the art of negotiating with mommy.

7 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Tough Woman soft at heart = Perfect Mommy!!

Mike Minzes said...

This is nothing stronger than the motherly bond. NOTHING!

Amel said...

Ahhhhhh...I hope I'll learn to read my kids' minds and master them later on when I have them he he he he...;-D

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I know what you mean. I can always tell when my son gets into mischieve ... LOL!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Yeah this is true.
YK and SK are good kids :) they really are.

The World According To Me said...

You got that right! My mum always knows when something is bothering me, and when something has happened. She say's it's the witch in her!

Blur Ting said...

So, if your mom says she knows what you're thinking, you've got to believe her!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...