Sunday 13 January 2008

Mirror, mirror

These days, I get dressed for work every morning without even glancing in the mirror. Last Wednesday, I wore my shirt inside out all the way to the office and back. Nobody at work noticed or pointed it out. Gasp!

For someone who used to stand before the mirror and obsess over "Does this outfit make me look fat?", I'm pretty surprised at this change. Maybe I keep wearing the same outfits to work, I know how they fit or I'm simply not so vain anymore.

When I was at the hairdresser's last week, the stylist asked if I had done my own colouring at home. I replied sheepishly, "Yes. I don't really care about how I look."

He seemed a little shocked, "Oh, you must make yourself pretty. I'll give you a nice colour and new style." I thought to myself, "What's the point? My hair will keep growing anyway."

He took great pains to colour, trim and style my hair. After 2.5 hours, he brandished a huge oval mirror and coaxed me to check out my newly styled tresses. I went, "I like the colour. It's very natural."

His beam turned into a sulk. Touching my shiny curls lovingly, he said "Don't you like the way I styled your hair."

"Oh that? It's nice too..."

I strutted out of the salon feeling like a model. That feeling lasted all of five minutes. I got into the car, drove off, grabbed lunch and picked up the kids from school...feeling so mumsy all over again.

Back home, I pulled my hair into a pony tail, changed into my running gear and headed to the gym. I got back, looked into the mirror, the lovely locks have turned into a sweaty, messy mop.

My stylist would have been so disappointed....

12 comments:

WaterLearner said...

Haha .. you are so funny. How much did you spend for that 2.5hours of beautifying service?

I don't pay too much attention to fashion and looks as well. These days, I am more conscious about health than looking fat.

The Real Mother Hen said...

LOL :)
Knowing me, I would go back to the stylist after the run and ask for a refund :)

PS: I like to see you all dress up though, you look very pretty and elegant when you do :)

Blur Ting said...

Aiya, expensive lah. cannot tell you. I even signed up a package for future beautifying services :-P

Like you, I'm conscious about health but (sigh), I also worry about looking fat :-)

Blur Ting said...

Thanks MH. Unfortunately I have no audience leh. Can you believe my colleague didn't even look at me. She didn't notice I wore my shirt inside out. Obviously nobody paid any attention! I can go to work in my PJ tomorrow :-)

Anonymous said...

Blur...if you went in your PJ i think people would notice THAT...unfortunately... we need to see photos of this new style and color...btw...

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I've given up bothering about my appearance a long time ago. The mirrors in my room are used merely for decoration purposes only ... LOL!

As you grow older, you kinda not bother how you look ...

Blur Ting said...

JY - I had 'undone' that new hairdo already.

He layered it and changed to side parting and claims that it took years off my age but I seriously doubt it. After several days, it's almost back to my old style. The curls (that he styled using the hairdryer) are long gone and the parting is inching it's way back to the centre again. All that beautifying for nothing!

Blur Ting said...

Ha ha, Nick. At least you use it for decoration. My mirror is completely gone from my room! (I must have looked at it so much, it cracked.)

Actually it is now in my son's room. If I spend my time looking into the mirror every morning, I'll surely change many outfits before I am satisfied. Then we'll all be late!

Amel said...

HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE...I never spent too much time primping myself, UNLESS when I feel so girly and I'm going to a wedding party in Indo he he he he he...;-D

The World According To Me said...

Oh dear, maybe it's just as well nobody noticed your skirt?!

So the hair style didn't last long?! I never bother styling my hair, I just wash it and leave it to dry.
Blow drying and styling is for special occasions only!

Anonymous said...

I'd say its just that you have your priorities in order now, Blur.

Unknown said...

I am the same way. But I do admire the moms that attend playgroups with full eye makeup and well-pressed clothes.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...