Thursday 6 November 2008

Closure

Of course I was curious to know what went on in SK's school yesterday. There were about 30 students from various levels. Apart from writing a passage (reflection) on why they were sent there, they were made to clean up the technical workshop which I imagine is covered with dust and grease. I spent alot of time scrubbing his grimy uniform last night!

I didn't want to come across sounding like a nag, but I was interested in what he wrote. I'm glad all the vital points were in there, like how he couldn't convince the teacher that he spent 3 weeks working on the artwork, and that he had to resort to saying that I helped him, etc.

Anyway, I am satisfied that he was given a chance to tell his side of the story. At least he's better at expressing himself in writing than in speaking. Maybe he'll finally get his message across.

While driving him to school, I reiterated the importance of vindicating himself. It may be a small matter this time but it is an important life lesson. I told him that in the real world, there are many people wrongly imprisoned for crimes they did not commit. Imagine if he had accidentally walked into a crime scene or is being framed or implicated and had crumbled under intense interrogation by the police, he could face life behind bars or worse yet, the execution squad. (Gotta make it sound really scary!)

That's of course the worst case scenario but I've heard of how people languish in prison all their lives for the wrong reasons. We've read too many stories in the papers to know it is very real.

Today, I have decided I will bring the matter to a close. It doesn't matter anymore as long as I know my son has learned to stand up for himself. I can't always be there for him.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

An important lesson no doubt.

J@n!ce said...

Sorry to hear what happened to your boy in school. I would have gone to the school to see the teacher & refuse to let my boy attend the training for what he didn't commit in the first place.

I hope your family are feeling better now since the matter has closed *smile*

Blur Ting said...

Janice - If my kids were younger, I'll go and kick up a fuss but now that they're older, I have to take their feelings into consideration as well.

Anonymous said...

Yes...and some day they will have to deal with it on their own...not with mum's help. You show a lot of wisdom in your actions Blur...not sure if I could do the same!

Blur Ting said...

JY - I'm sure you would too. Every scenario is different, and what I think I've done correctly may not be the right move afterall. But for now, this is it. Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I agree, no matter what the outcome may be, an important lesson has been learned. And even though it was unpleasant but like you said it could have been in a worse situation. Hope you all have a good weekend ahead.

Amel said...

It's GREAT to hear that he's learnt how to stand up for himself. You're right that in the end he has to do it on his own and you can't always be there for him.

Charli Henley said...

Hi! I've read back through your blog to better understand this mess. How awful! I'm glad your son has been able to get some closure on this issue. It is a pity he had to go through with it in the first place. No doubt he's learned a great deal about the world. (Let's just hope he isn't bitter yet!)

The Real Mother Hen said...

It's true about what you said - about people being wrongly accused and admitted under pressure. It happens very often actually, in real life.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Not a fun thing to go through, but I'm glad to hear you've closed the door on this. Reading your reasons I think it was a wise move. I would have been far too tempted to kick up a fuss, but you are right that you need to consider your son's feelings on the matter.

WaterLearner said...

I am sure he must have learnt something along the way of the whole episode. Even if he doesn't tell you.

You are really one wonderful momma. If I have a baby, can you give me orientation??

Blur Ting said...

CKL - It's quite natural for parents to make a lesson out of every single event. :-)

Blur Ting said...

Amel - Yes, I'll begin to look funny if I am always in school defending a boy who's taller than I am!

Blur Ting said...

Charli - Hi! and thanks for visiting. Yah, not a pleasant episode at all. I hope that will not deter him from giving his best during art exams in future.

Blur Ting said...

MH - That's so true and sad right?

Blur Ting said...

Fish - Sigh, sometimes as parents we don't quite know how to handle it too.

Blur Ting said...

Water - Funny you asked. Parenting is a long journey and I've learned so much along the way. I'll be most happy to share all my knowledge with you!!

SOUL said...

hey blur---
i know, i'm a bit late-- and a lot lost-- but looks like, once again you handled everything like a champ. :))

good for you and the boy too of course!

teach me too? :))

happy sunday?

w said...

It is so important to learn how to stand up for one's self...as you said it is one of life's most important lessons.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...