Monday 24 November 2008

Ku Zhong Zuo Le 苦中作樂

I was chatting with my friend this morning. We were moaning about depressed sales yet chuckling over her company's incredulous demands, urging her to sell more machines. FYI, these are wafer fabrication machines averaging US$10 million a piece. She says it is easier to make her walk on burning coals than close any sales. "Try harder. Go visit your customers." her boss pressed on.

In times like this when her semi-conductor customers are reducing production capacity, retrenching people and worrying about their finances, they can only tell her to "Come and stir coffee with us."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I tell her it is probably more exciting swatting flies than coming to work lately. In good times, opportunities abound. There were many streams of income. During the frenzied days of trading, I couldn't wait to tally up my sales for the month to gauge our performance. I even told myself I could take a break when we hit our annual sales target. In reality, now that we have all the time in the world, what we really want to do is work.

Yesterday, I learned a new Chinese phrase 苦中作樂 'ku zhong zuo le' which means making merry in bitterness. I have heard of people being laid off or waiting to be made redundant but we can't be wallowing in self pity all day long. Might as well make merry within our means.

The government is urging companies to send the employees for training during the lull. Better to stay busy and feel accomplished. I'm planning to knead dough tonight and fill the freezer with lots of pizza. Better make sure the kids don't go hungry while I make merry.

4 comments:

WaterLearner said...

You actually make the dough to bake the Pizza? Oh wow ... Eh .. how about a vegetarian one for me? Hee hee ..

You are really one great mom. Worrying about the tummy of your boys while you are away.

Blur Ting said...

Water -I usedto buy the frozen ones for them but looking at the recipe, doesn't look too difficult. Just use yeast,flour, salt, sugar and olive oil. So i plan to make pizza base and freeze them so they can add tomato paste, cheese and whatever toppings they like and pop into the oven.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Amel said...

YYYYEEESSSS let's make merry! ;-D

Speaking of pizza, R2 was the one who taught me how to cook pizza from scratch...even from making the dough...but we normally don't use the recipe using yeast, so the pizza bread is thin and crispy he he...

yanmaneee said...

christian louboutin outlet
coach bags
jordan shoes
air max 270
jordan shoes
timberland
nike air force
yeezy boost 700
jordan shoes
supreme clothing

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...