Tuesday 4 November 2008

Sleepless nights

Last night, I dreamt I was in Vietnam, having an authentic meal with my Vietnamese associate by the Mekong River. I noticed the trees and buildings along the river bank were covered in mud and asked the locals if the river often overflows. Indeed, they said when the tide comes in, the water level would rise and engulf the trees and buildings around us, sending shivers down my spine.

In my dream, my business associate looked like a movie star. He must have undergone massive cosmetic surgery because he looks nothing like that in real life. Anyway, the reason why I dreamt of him had nothing to do with his looks but everything to do with business. I was there to resolve some business matters.

I seem to be doing nothing but solving problems lately. A ship carrying some of our containers to South Africa had suddenly gone bankrupt. Our containers had been seized and my South African customer is now working on the recovery process.

Another customer in India who is not complying with custom formalities is also giving me sleepless nights. My UK principal has flown down to Mumbai to deal with them at this very moment.

While it is exciting to conduct business beyond our shores, the risk is very real and often very unforseeable. Then again, if everyone could gaze into the crystal ball, the world wouldn't be hurting today.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, if he looks like a movie star then he must be doing well. Let's hope so for both your sakes!

Anonymous said...

Well.. we're the same boat (literally), all our overseas businesses are affected quite dramatically this year.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

That would be an ideal way to conduct business with a crystal ball :D

But unfortunately we have to do it the hard way. Hope you get your container problems sorted out in due time.

Michelle said...

Worrying times, but so often things work out in the end and then I think... why did I worry? We were convinced hubby was going to lose his job last month (down sizing, laying off, factories closing here, etc), but in the end he's fine and my dad's going.

On the plus side my dad never liked his job much and has applications out for two nicer jobs. Keep fingers crossed!

I hope your own business weathers this storm ok, Ting.

Oh, and I forgot - we were talking about container houses. They won't allow them in our part of Scotland either. In fact our area is very strict on what they'll allow you to build, which is very frustrating.

Blur Ting said...

CH - Actually he was doing really well with plans to list etc but sadly he's also a victim of this downturn. I'm sure he'll weather the storm.

Blur Ting said...

JY - I think everyone's just shocked and paralysed at this moment, not knowing what to do. I'm sure things will start moving again soon...

Blur Ting said...

Nick - If only selected people like us have a crystal ball. Then we can strike lottery!

Blur Ting said...

Michelle - You're so right. No point worrying about things beyond our control. Somehow these things creep into my dreams...

Looks like things re working out well for your hubby and dad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your dad lands a job he likes.

These container houses can be really nice and functional but I suppose the authorities are also worried that people will make ugly houses out of these and ruin the landscape or the entire neighbourhood. I can understand their concerns but I think they should look at it on a case by case basis. Well, who knows? Maybe they will down the road.

Amel said...

Ahhhh...life is VERY unpredictable indeed...there are always two sides of the coins...pros and cons to everything.

Wish you LUCK in your businessss!!!!!

The World According To Me said...

I hope it all sorts itself out too. Times are getting tough, I guess we have to do our best and try not to worry too much. And look out for that crystal ball!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Did you dream of me? I've made over and now look like Lin Qing Xie - 林青霞
:)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...